Keeping your home safe and secure from the outdoor elements will require you to have a roof that is in good condition. There is a variety of roofing materials that can allow you to achieve this goal, and each one has different advantages and disadvantages. Knowing some of the most commonly selected materials to replace an old roof or to install a new one can come in handy.
Type #1: Asphalt Shingles
This roofing material is one of the most popular ones on the market. There are numerous reasons to select asphalt shingles, and some of these are listed below:
1. These shingles come in a variety of colors to match the exterior of your home.
2. Asphalt shingles are easy to install and maintain.
3. Durability if one of the many reasons homeowners choose this type of shingle because these can last for 20 years or longer in some cases.
4. This type of roofing material is one of the least expensive and the average cost per square foot is $1-$4.
One of the longest lasting types of roofing materials that you're sure to enjoy is a metal roof. Studies indicate that a metal roof may last up to 75 years. However, the biggest disadvantage to most people is the cost of metal roofing. The average price per square foot for this material is $3-$7.50.
There are many other advantages, and these are listed below:
1. Metal roofing is resistant to fire which is an added security feature for your home.
2. This type of roofing is easy to install because it comes in sheets.
3. Putting a metal roof on your home will increase the resale value of your property.
If you love the look of slate, you may want to consider adding slate shingles to your roofing home needs. One of the major advantages of choosing this type of shingle is the fact that it lasts for so long. The estimated lifespan of slate shingles is 100 years.
Other advantages of choosing slate shingles includes the attractive look that it provides for your home.
Taking the time and knowing your options when it comes to choosing the right roofing for your home is very important. This is a large project that can be expensive, so it's critical to make the right choice. Be sure to work closely with a roofing contractor to help you make the right choice. Click here for more information on roofing companies.